One of the biggest problems I seem to have in high school is taking time for myself and just relaxing on a daily basis. Although it seems I find little time to relax, there are many ways in which I choose to relax!
1. Listen to music – listening to my favorite band or song always helps me to calm down and just mellow out. Just sitting down, or even when I’m driving, putting on a favorite song or band can help me to relax and can even help to completely change the mood I’m in!
2. Exercising/Playing a sport- For me, a great way to relax and relieve a little stress is to hit some balls in a batting cage. Not only is it a favorite way for me to relax, but its also a perfect stress reliever because hitting the ball gives me such a great feeling! So go to the gym or go outside and get a good work out, or play a quick game of basketball. Exercise always makes you feel better!
3. Pick up a good book – a lot of people may think this isn’t a way to relax, but I find it extremely relaxing when I pick out a good book and curl up in my bed or on a couch and read and read and read. Especially if it’s a story you can really get into and enter the reality of the book, leaving your own busy, stressful world behind. Reading a good book can help to take your mind off of anything that may be causing you a great deal of stress.
4. Take a nap- slowing down is key when trying to relax and become a little less stressed. And what better way to slow down than shut down completely?! Whether it is a much needed (and deserved!) 2 hour nap or it is just a quick 30 minute power nap, either can be amazing and you may be shocked at how much better you feel after a nap.
5. Hang out with Friends- This is a great way to just sit back and enjoy yourself. For me, hanging out with friends always helps me to forget about how stressed I may be or will help to take my mind off how much I have to do. Everyone needs a little time with friends to just chill and forget about everything, but enjoying a little free time along with your friends may help to slow things down a bit, too.
If you think you have no free time for any of these things and find yourself completely stressed, then I suggest finding some free time. Being stressed will do you no good, but approaching something in a much more relaxed manner will get you somewhere!