School is back in session for many colleges and universities across the country. Freshmen go in with wide-eyed wonder and seniors just want to get it over with. Meanwhile, alumni, like myself, become a bit nostalgic. While I wouldn’t want to go back to my demanding course schedule and bi-annual struggles with financial aid, I would love to go back for even a couple of days for a few of those key collegiate experiences, and even fill in the gaps with the ones I missed.
The beauty of the college experience is that it can be incredibly unifying. We’ve all had to scrape enough quarters together to wash a pair of jeans and probably even slept on a mysterious couch to ensure a safe arrival home the next day. And every school has their own set of unique traditions, like riding the Sooner Schooner at an OU football game, jumping in Mirror Lake at Ohio State, participating in CalTech‘s ditch day, or unleashing Northwestern‘s “the scream” on the Sunday morning before finals. You should take advantage of every opportunity that comes your way – no matter how ridiculous it may seem at the time.
Whether a freshman, sophomore, or fifth-year senior, we want you to have a classic college experience, and so we’ve put together our picks for a college student bucket list. You’ve got (at least) four years to accomplish the items on here, but you’ve got your entire life to conjure up the incredible memories that each item will no doubt deliver.
2. Take a nap in the “quad”.
3. Order a pizza and eat the whole thing.
4. Stay up all night cramming for an exam.
5. Become friends with one professor.
6. Check out a book from the library.
7. Get a parking ticket.
9. Rush the field at a football game.
10. Go to class in your pajamas.
11. Study abroad.
12. Join at least one campus organization.
13. Sit in on a lecture you’re not taking.
14. Meet the university president.
15. Rush for a sorority or fraternity, even if you don’t join.
16. Visit every building on campus at least once.
18. Take your picture in front of the oldest building on campus.
19. Walk barefoot to class.
20. Attend a bowl game.
21. Play an intramural sport.
22. Try out for a play.
23. Try out to be the university mascot.
24. Make time for service and volunteer.
27. Surprise your parents with an unexpected weekend visit.
28. Don’t get a credit card.
29. Start a business.
30. Throw a pajama party.
31. Fall in love.
32. Take a ridiculous class – along the lines of “basket weaving.”
33. Fail at something.
35. Try the best of everything in your college town – best burger, coldest beer, best ice cream.
36. Read the campus newspaper every day.
39. Live in your college town for the summer.
40. Declare a minor.
42. Attend a costume party.
43. Go somewhere more interesting than the beach for spring break.
44. Learn to play an instrument.
45. Get a tattoo.
46. Get a piercing.
47. Write an op-ed piece for the student paper.
49. Attend your graduation.
50. Buy an alumni sticker for your car.