Alpha Tau Omega is a fraternity that constantly ranks in the top ten among fraternities as far as number of chapters and members. Alpha Tau Omega was founded on September 11, 1865 at the Virginia Military Institute. The founders of Alpha Tau Omega include Otis Allan Glazebrook, Alfred Marshall, and Erskine Mayo Ross. Joseph R. Anderson is known as the second founder of Alpha Tau Omega.
The fraternity was founded as a way to unite men from the north and south together in brotherhood following the Civil War. Alpha Tau Omega was the first fraternity that would be considered a national fraternity. Alpha Tau Omega is one of the three members of the Lexington Triad, along with Kappa Alpha Order and Sigma Nu. Alpha Tau Omega provides more than $150,000 in scholarships each year to members.
The philanthropy of Alpha Tau Omega is the Alpha Tau Omega Foundation. This foundation focuses on offering scholarships and educational programs to its members.
The Alpha Tau Omega motto is only revealed to its members.
- Fraternity colors are azure and old gold
- Fraternity symbol is the heraldic cross pattee
- Fraternity flower is the white tea rose
- First fraternity founded on Christian principles instead of Greek
- Nicknames are Taus, Alpha Taus, ATOs
- Fraternity headquarters in Indianapolis, Indiana
- First fraternity founded after the Civil War
- First fraternity founded as a national fraternity
- Dr. Michael Ferrari (Duke University President)
- J. Erik Jonsson (Founder of Texas Instruments)
- Earl T. Leonard, Jr. (VP Coca-Cola)
- Charles Duke (NASA Astronaut)
alpha tow omega, alfa tau omega, alpha tau omeg, Taus, Alpha Taus, ATOs