The sorority of Alpha Xi Delta was founded in 1893. Alpha Xi Delta was founded by ten women on the campus of the former Lombard College in Galesburg, Illinois. This is one of the oldest sororities in existence and is also one of the founding members of the National Panhellenic Conference. A member of the Alpha Xi Delta sorority actually wrote the National Panhellenic Conference creed which is read at every NPC meeting.
The original ten founders of Alpha Xi Delta are Cora Bollinger Block, Alice Bartlett Bruner, Bertha Cook Evans, Harriett Luella McCollum, Lucy W. Gilmer, Lewie Strong Taylor, Almira Lowry Cheney, Frances Elisabeth Cheney, Eliza Drake Curtis Everton and Julia Maude Foster.
The brothers of the Sigma Nu fraternity helped found Alpha Xi Delta and the sorority flower was chosen to complement the flower of that fraternity. Today the sorority has more than 113 chapters and has initiated more than 140,000 members into the organization.
The national philanthropy of Alpha Xi Delta sorority is Autism Speaks. This new philanthropy was chosen in August of 2009.
"The Pen is Mightier than the Sword."
- Sorority colors are light blue, dark blue and gold
- Sorority symbol is the quill
- Sorority flower is the pink kilarny rose
- Sorority mascot is the BetXi bear
- Alpha Xi Delta is the only NPC sorority with Xi in the official name
- "Inspiring women to realize their potential" is the vision statement
- Headquarters is located in Indianapolis, Indiana
- Laurie Lea Schaefer (Miss America 1972)
- Verna Kay Gibson (1st female CEO of Fortune 500 company)
- Jane Henson (Co-creator of muppets with husband Jim Henson)
- Jan Davis (Astronaut)
- Betsey Johnson (Fashion designer)
Shop Now for Alpha Xi Delta
alpha xi delt, alphas xi deltas, alpha x delta, alpha xi, alpha zi delta, alpha xi detla