Delta Gamma is a sorority that was founded in 1873 on the campus of the Lewis School for Girls (near the University of Mississippi) in Oxford, Mississippi by Mary Comfort Leonard, Eva Webb Dodd and Anna Boyd Ellington. The current headquarters of the sorority is in Columbus, Ohio. Delta Gamma was formed to focus on high standards and encourage intellectual growth, as it still does today. Each member of Delta Gamma sorority is encouraged to strive for excellence in every aspect of life.
Early on, Delta Gamma’s growth took place in the southern part of the United States. In their expansion, Delta Gamma enlisted the help of Phi Delta Theta fraternity and a man named George Banta, who was the sorority’s only male inductee. Delta Gamma grew close ties throughout history with the Phi Delta Theta fraternity because of this relationship.
The official philanthropy for Delta Gamma sorority is Service for Sight, which helps those who are visually impaired.
The Delta Gamma motto is "Do Good."
- The colors of Delta Gamma are bronze, pink and blue
- The symbol of Delta Gamma is the anchor
- The mascot of Delta Gamma is the Hannah Doll
- The flower of Delta Gamma is the Delta Gamma cream colored rose
- Delta Gamma is one of the original seven groups that started the National Panhellenic Conference.
- Delta Gamma joined the National Panhellenic Conference in 1902.
- Delta Gamma was the first sorority to have its own in-house printing press
- Delta Gamma was the first sorority to receive the Helen Keller Philanthropic Service Award
- Delta Gamma is the first sorority to devote a full-time staff member to the health and wellness of sorority members.
- Currently Delta Gamma has had more than 142,000 members throughout the world, and has 146 chapters.
- The Delta Gamma chapter located in Akron, Ohio at the University of Akron is the oldest chapter of the sorority, founded in 1879.
- Jill Arrington (ESPN Sports Reporter)
- Sabrina Bryan (Cheetah Girls member, actress)
- Patricia Heaton (Actress)
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus (Actress)
- Joan Lunden (Good Morning America former host)
DG, DGs, Delta Gammas, Delta Gama, Delta Ganna, Gammas, Deltas