The Kappa Delta sorority was the first sorority founded at the State Female Normal School in Farmville, Virginia. The school is now known as Longwood University. There were three other sororities founded at the university, with all of them making up the Farmville Four.
Kappa Delta was founded in 1897 by Lenora Ashmore Blackiston, Julia Gardiner Tyler Wilson, Sara Turner White and Mary Sommerville Sparks Hendrick. The founders varied in age from 15- through 23-years-old. These four women desired something more than just a local club. They in turn sat down to discuss it and came up with a sorority.
Kappa Delta has been the only sorority so far to become a member of the National Panhellenic Conference immediately after submitting their petition. The vision for Kappa Delta sorority is to provide opportunities and experiences to inspire women to greatness. The object is of course to provide and perpetuate fellowship, friendship and sisterly love among members.
There are four philanthropies that Kappa Delta supports: Girl Scouts of the USA, Prevent Child Abuse America, Children’s Hospital of Richmond, Virginia and Orthopaedic Research Awards.
"Let us strive for that which is honorable, beautiful and highest."
- Kappa Delta colors are olive green and pearl white
- Kappa Delta symbols are the nautilus shell, dagger, teddy bear and the katydid
- Kappa Delta flower is the white rose
- Kappa Delta jewels are the diamond, emerald and pearl
- Kappa Delta has partnered with Dove products to promote their Dove Campaign for Real Beauty
- Kappa Delta founded National Women’s Friendship Day to celebrate women’s friendships all over the country
- The sorority has inducted more than 200,000 members and has 135 charters around the country
- Ali Landry (Actress, Miss USA 1996)
- Claudia Kennedy (1st female three star general in Army)
- Jean Carpenter Carnahan (Missouri U.S. Senator)
- Nancy Thies Marshall (Olympic Gymnast)
- Sara James (Dateline NBC Correspondent)
KD, Kappa Delts, Kapa Delta, Cappa Delta, Kappa Detla, Kappa Deltas, Kappas