Kappa Sigma fraternity is an international fraternity that is currently leading all other American fraternities in new pledges per year. Kappa Sigma, also referred to as Kappa Sig, is also one of the oldest fraternities, being started in 1869 at the University of Virginia. Kappa Sig was founded by William Grigsby McCormick, George Miles Arnold, John Covert Boyd, Edmund Law Rogers Jr. and Frank Courtney Nicodemus. Kappa Sig bases its importance heavily on the four cornerstones: fellowship, leadership, scholarship and service.
Kappa Sig has had more than 230,000 members and currently has chapters on more than 230 campuses in the United States and Canada. The founding fathers of Kappa Sig started the fraternity based on the traditions of the ancient order of Bologna, Italy. Kappa Sig men are to live by the star and crescent, which are the fraternity symbols. Living by these symbols simply means that the men of Kappa Sig will be gentlemen with honor and courage and walk in the light of God. Kappa Sig also enforces a strict anti-hazing policy. Kappa Sig men are involved in various charitable organizations and philanthropic causes.
Kappa Sig currently leads in donation and service hours over all other Greek organizations. Each chapter can choose a charitable organization to help rather than having one national organization that all chapters support. At Kappa Sig’s 66th conclave, a new charity was unveiled to help soldiers that were disabled or killed while in the line of duty called the Kappa Sigma Fraternity Military Heroes Campaign. Most American chapters of the fraternity support the Fisher House Foundation, while Canadian chapters support either Fisher House, or two other Canadian Armed Forces organizations.
"Brotherhood: Not for a day, or college term only, but for life…"
- Official colors are scarlet, white and emerald green
- Official flower is the lily of the valley
- Symbols of the fraternity are the star and crescent
- Nickname for Kappa Sigma fraternity is Kappa Sig
- Kappa Sig has developed great programs in drug and alcohol education
- Kappa Sig is in the process of building the largest international headquarters in the fraternal world near Monticello
- Jimmy Buffet (Singer)
- Sam Donaldson (ABC News Journalist)
- Jerry Jones (Dallas Cowboys Owner)
- Ted Turner (CNN, TNT, TBS and Atlanta Braves owner)
- Scottie Mayfield (President of Mayfield Dairy Farms)
- Robert Redford (Oscar-winning Actor)
Kap Sig, Kappa Sig, Kappa Sigs, KS, Cappa Sigma, Kappa Signa