Originally founded as I.C. Sorosis in 1867, the Pi Beta Phi sorority came to life on the campus of Monmouth College in Monmouth, Illinois. The name of the sorority wasn’t changed to Pi Beta Phi until 1888.
The mission of Pi Beta Phi sorority is to help women promote friendship, cultivate leadership and reach out to others through community service. The 12 founders of the Pi Beta Phi sorority were Clara Brownlee Hutchinson, Libbie Brook Gaddis, Emma Brownlee Kilgore, Margaret Campbell, Rosa Moore, Ada Bruen Grier, Nancy Black Wallace, Jennie Horne Turnbull, Jennie Nicol, Inez Smith Soule, Fannie Thomson and Fannie Whitenack Libbey. These women sought a secret society similar to what the men were enjoying on campus.
Pi Beta Phi has had several philanthropies throughout its history. The current philanthropies are Champions Are Readers, Arrowmont and Arrow in the Attic. All of these organizations focus on literacy.
The original motto of the sorority was "Pi Beta Phi," which was later adopted as the name. The current motto is said to be revealed only to newly initiated members.
- The official flower of Pi Beta Phi is the wine carnation
- The official colors of Pi Beta Phi are wine and silver blue
- The official symbol of Pi Beta Phi is the arrow
- The current headquarters of the sorority is located in Town & Country, Missouri
- Nickname is Pi Phis
- Pi Beta Phi was the first sorority to be a national organization
- The first convention of the sorority was held in 1868 at the home of sorority founder Fannie Thomson
- Pi Beta Phi was the first sorority to have a Canadian philanthropy, which was the Northern Libraries Project
- Pi Beta Phi was one of the seven founding Greek organizations of the National Panhellenic Conference
- The first sorority to be featured in a Broadway musical – Good News
- Faye Dunaway (Academy-Award Winning Actress)
- Jennifer Garner (Actress)
- Barbara Bush (First Lady – Wife of President George H.W. Bush)
- Patricia Neal (Actress)
- Ann Turner Cook (Original Gerber Baby)
PBP, Pi Phi, Pi Phis, Pi Beta Pi, Phi Beta Phi, Pi Bata Phi, Pie Beta Phi