The fraternity of Pi Kappa Alpha was founded in 1868 on the campus of the University of Virginia. At the time that Pi Kappa Alpha was founded, the University of Virginia was the fifth largest school in the United States. Members of Pi Kappa Alpha all share the ideals of friendship, truth, honor and loyalty. The founders of Pi Kappa Alpha were Frederick Southgate Taylor, James Benjamin Sclater, Julian Edward Wood, Littleton Waller Tazewell, Robertson Howard and William Alexander.
Pi Kappa Alpha now has more than 200 chapters and has more than 240,000 members. The fraternity takes the education of its members seriously, and has a program called Pike University which includes leadership development and educational events. Pi Kappa Alpha members, also known as Pikes, are encouraged to attend the events that Pike University provides each year. Pike University typically holds an international convention every other year, and conducts an academy on the non-convention years. Pike University also conducts at least eight leadership summits at various sites throughout North America.
There is no official fraternity philanthropy named for Pi Kappa Alpha. However, through its members, millions of dollars have been donated to philanthropic causes across North America.
"Once a Pike…always a Pike."
- Official colors of the fraternity are garnet and old gold
- Official symbols of the fraternity are the oak tree and the shield
- Official flower of the fraternity is the lily of the valley
- Official jewel of the fraternity is the diamond
- Nicknames for Pi Kappa Alpha are Pikes, Pikas and Pi-K-As
- Pi Kappa Alpha has an educational foundation that was founded in 1948
- Pi Kappa Alpha has a full-time team for recruitment that lives and works on campus during a 4-5 week period
- Tim McGraw (Country Singer)
- Jeremy Piven (Actor)
- Harland Sanders (Kentucky Fried Chicken founder)
- Stephen Covey (CEO FranklinCovey Co.)
- Karl Rove (Former Deputy Chief of Staff)
- Bobby Bowden (Florida State University Head Football Coach)
Pikes, Pikas, Pi-K-A, PKA, Pie Kappa Alpha, Pi Cappa Alpha, Pi Kap, Phi Kappa Alpha