Psi Upsilon was founded in 1833 on the campus of Union College and is the fifth oldest fraternity in existence. Psi Upsilon has in the past limited its membership to men, but now has several co-ed chapters available. The first constitution for Psi Upsilon was adopted on January 10, 1834. Psi Upsilon was the first fraternity to hold a fraternity convention, print a membership catalog, print the fraternity history and issue a fraternity magazine. Ten chapters were added in the first ten years of existence for the fraternity.
The original Psi Upsilon founders were Robert Barnard, Samuel Goodale, Sterling Goodale Hadley, Charles Washington Harvey, Merwin Henry Stewart, Edward Martindale and George Washington Tuttle.
"Unto us has befallen a mighty friendship."
- Fraternity colors are garnet and gold
- Each chapter has their own designed coat of arms
- Each chapter has a personalized motto
- Psi Upsilon was the first fraternity to hold a fraternity convention
- Psi Upsilon was the first fraternity to print a membership catalog
- Psi Upsilon saw significant growth early in its existence
- Michael Bay (Film director)
- William Clay Ford, Sr. (Owner of Detroit Lions NFL team)
- Tony Fadell (iPod co-creator)
- Dan Brown (Author of The Da Vinci Code)
- Chester A. Arthur (U.S. President)
- William Howard Taft (U.S. President)
psi epsilon, pi upsilon, phi upsilon, psi epsilon