Sigma Chi fraternity is one of the oldest and largest fraternities, founded in 1855 on the campus of Miami University in Oxford, Ohio. Sigma Chi was actually founded because of a disagreement. Six of the seven founding members of Sigma Chi were previously members of the Delta Kappa Epsilon fraternity. Several members of Delta Kappa Epsilon did not agree with the nomination of a fellow brother as poet. As the situation continued to cause a rift in the friendship of Delta Kappa Epsilon members, it eventually led to the expulsion of six men. The six expelled members of Delta Kappa Epsilon soon joined with William Lewis Lockwood and formed the Sigma Chi fraternity. The founding members are Benjamin Piatt Runkle, Thomas Cowan Bell, William Lewis Lockwood, Isaac M. Jordan, Daniel William Cooper, Franklin Howard Scobey, and James Parks Caldwell. Sigma Chi promotes friendship, justice and learning.
The two official philanthropies for the Sigma Chi fraternity are the Children’s Miracle Network and the Huntsman Cancer Institute.
"In this sign you will conquer."
- Fraternity colors are blue and old gold
- Fraternity flower is the white rose
- Fraternity symbol is the white cross
- Balfour Leadership Training Workshop is held each August as a way to improve leadership in the fraternity
- Horizons is a leadership program created for the underclassmen of the fraternity utilizing mentorship
- Nicknames is Sigs
- Founder Benjamin Runkle renounced his membership in Delta Kappa Epsilon prior to starting Sigma Chi
- The fraternity handbook is called The Norman Shield, and is issued to all undergraduates at the beginning of the pledging process
- Sigma Chi was the first Greek society to be honored by the United States Congress for the fraternity’s 150th birthday
- Drew Brees (NFL Quarterback)
- Mike Ditka (NFL Hall of Fame)
- Warren Beatty (Actor)
- Brad Pitt (Actor)
- John Wayne (Actor)
- Urban Meyer (NCAA Championship Football Coach)
SX, Sigma Chis, Sig Chi, Signa Chi, Sigma Kai, Signa Kai