If you are taking a Spanish class, you know that Cinco de Mayo is coming up! For some, it’s a commemoration of the Battle of Puebla in 1862 when the Mexican army defeated French forces. For others, it’s a great excuse to stuff yourself on yummy Mexican food. At my high school, we always celebrated with a school-wide Cinco de Mayo party and everyone brought their favorite dishes to share. If you need some quick and yummy recipes to celebrate the holiday, here are my top cinco (5) favorites! I also work at a Mexican restaurant, so I’m kind of an expert on this whole queso and tortilla thing.
1. Mexican Wedding Cookies – These delicious almond-flavored cookies are rolled in powdered sugar. Recipe
2. Non-Alcoholic Margaritas – Bring a pitcher to class! It’s so much more Cinco than Coca Cola! Recipe
3. Chicken Taquitos – Sure, you could buy the frozen ones and heat them up before your class party, but these are so much better! Recipe
4. Guacamole– Healthy and tasty! What more can you ask for? Recipe
5. Empanadas– Depending on what you put inside, these can be desserts or an entree! Apples, meat, chocolate, melon… Anything works, just be careful what you mix together. Something tells me chicken and chocolate might not go well together. Recipe
Click here to see 5 more healthy Mexican recipes.
So, now you are ready to wow your classmates and earn some extra credit with your profesor de espanol. Happy Cinco de Mayo!!