alcohol poisoning

alcohol poisoning

Caffienated Colt 45 Blast to Take Four Loko’s Place on College Campuses

UPDATE 3/30/2011: This article is incorrect. Colt 45 does not contain caffeine. However, due to it’s fruity flavors and celebrity endorsements, many people are concerned that it will attract underage drinkers and encourage binge drinking.

Last semester, Four Loko was all the rage on college campuses across the country. At less than $2.50 a can, these highly caffeinated alcoholic beverages were a cheap and quick way to get drunk – something that appeals to many college students. However, the drinks’ dangerous combination of stimulants and depressants had deadly consequences for several students. As a result, the drinks were banned from stores shelves until the makers altered the recipe and removed the caffeine.

Now, another caffeinated alcoholic beverages is hitting the stores and it has the same dangerous ingredients as Four Loko. Blast by Colt 45 is sold in 23.5 ounce cans and bottles and contains 12 percent alcohol, just like Four Loko. Blast also has famous rapper Snoop Dogg as it’s promotional spokesperson.  Some are very concerned that by having Snoop Dogg associated with the drink, Blast will target young adults and underage drinkers who will not be able to consume the drink safely and in moderation, which could result in alcohol poisoning.

Read the rest of this entry »



Suspected Roofies Turn Out to Be Four Loko

four-lokoTwo weeks ago, 12 students were hospitalized after suddenly falling ill at a Central Washington University party. The students were predominately female and some suspected that roofies were involved. After further investigation, police determined that nine of those hospitalized had been drinking Four Loko, and none had been drugged.

During a press conference today, officials said that students had blood alcohol levels that ranged from .123 to .335, with an average of .23, reports KOMO News. The legal limit to drive in the area is .08.

Read the rest of this entry »



Alcoholic Energy Drinks Banned at Jersey College

four-lokoNew Jersey’s Ramapo College is banning alcoholic energy drinks after several students were hospitalized. The students had been drinking Four Loko, a beverage that contains caffeine, other energy-boosting ingredients and 12 percent alcohol. Many students see the stimulating drinks as an inexpensive way to get drunk fast and stay up all night.

The ban took effect October 1st, after 23 students were hospitalized within the same week, a portion of whom had been consuming Four Loko. “There’s no redeeming social purpose to be served by having the beverage,” said college president Peter Mercer. Fox News reports that Mercer is also encouraging other New Jersey colleges to follow suit.

The FDA has been investigating whether drinks containing both alcohol (a depressant) and stimulants are safe, particularly when the feelings of intoxication can mask other symptoms. Research conducted at the Wake Forest University School of Medicine found that cocktails containing Red Bull are more dangerous than alcohol alone. Anheuser-Busch has already agreed to reformulate Sparks, a similar alcoholic beverage.

Read the rest of this entry »



Roofies Suspected in the Hospitalization of 12 Students

Central-Washington-University

UPDATE [10/25/10]: After further investigation, officials reported that the students were drunk, not drugged. Nine of the hospitalized students had been drinking Four Loko, an controversial alcoholic energy drink.

Twelve Central Washington University students were hospitalized Friday night. The students, 11 of whom are female, were the victims of spiked drinks, although the contaminating substance is still unknown. Several of those hospitalized reported consuming only one or two drinks before falling ill.

Around 11:00 P.M. police responded to a report of a girl lying unconscious in the back of a car. When authorities arrived at the girl’s residence in Roslyn, they found several more students similarly afflicted. Guests at the party reported that the girls very suddenly started vomiting and losing consciousness.

Read the rest of this entry »



Are Pledges Being Pushed to Alcohol Poisoning by Sororities?

Almetris Duren Hall Dormitory

Almetris Duren Hall Dormitory

It’s not unusual for colleges for freshmen to drink too much in the first few weeks at college, but is pledging leading students to drink dangerously? This week, two young women at the University of Texas were hospitalized for alcohol poisoning after a sorority pledging event.

One girl was found foaming at the mouth in the shower by her roommate. The other was discovered unconscious on the bathroom floor of the Almetris Duren Hall dorm. Both girls were hospitalized. “When freshmen get here, they kind of go a little crazy and you often times find people passed out or stumbling drunk,” said one University of Texas senior.

Read the rest of this entry »



5 Reasons Not to Binge Drink

barMost students think that college is the time to party. You may have fewer commitments, more leisure time and no parental guidance; that sounds like an awesome time, right? Well living it up in college doesn’t necessarily mean you have to spend it binge drinking. Sure, that peer pressure mom warned you about is tough to ignore in college. Plus, some parties can be socially awkward, and you may cling to the beer can to become more outgoing. While heavy drinking may seem like a necessary college pastime, it comes with several risks:

Your wallet: you probably thought it was just the books and tuition that broke your bank, but you can plan on spending $25 to $50 a night boozing it up at a club.

Weight gain: If you’re trying to lose the “freshman 15”, binge drinking isn’t going to help. There’s roughly 750 calories in 5 cans of beer and 2500 in 5 margaritas. Read the rest of this entry »



Another College Student Dies of Alcohol Poisoning

It breaks my heart when it happens–and it makes me mad, because it’s such a waste. I’m talking about college students dying of alcohol poisoning due to binge drinking sprees. Here’s the latest of these pointless alcohol deaths, the victim being a 21-year-old Minnesota State University student who was celebrating at his cousin’s 21st birthday party. His name was Peter Sand, and he was from a small town called Zumbrota.

Imagine what this student’s parents must be going through. Imagine how his cousins feels, and how his cousin will feel for the rest of his life on his birthday. And for what?binge drinking

I don’t like to preach to students–but kids, please be smart! There’s a big difference between drinking for fun and drinking so much that your life is in danger. I don’t understand why people feel the need to drink so much that they get violently ill or worse. There’s a point at which more drinks aren’t going to make your night out more fun.

Here’s something you should know: the danger signs of alcohol poisoning.

  • Slow or irregular breathing
  • Low body temperature
  • Seizures
  • Blue-tinged skin or pale skin
  • Vomiting
  • Seizures
  • Confusing or stupor
  • Passing out

If you see someone who exhibits these signs, get help. Don’t worry about overreacting. It sounds like Peter Sand was exhibiting some of these behaviors before he died–and if someone had “overreacted,” they may have saved him.





About

We help students find reviews on colleges, get help with student loan refinancing and other resourceful content to help students.

Social Links

© 2018 EDUInReview.com