In 1885 on the campus of DePauw University, the sorority of Alpha Chi Omega was founded. This sorority was founded in Greencastle, Indiana. The first music dean of the school, Professor James Hamilton Howe, desired to start a sorority. Because Professor Howe was not a member of a Greek organization, he consulted with Beta Theta Pi member James G. Campbell. Professor Howe invited seven women from the school to a meeting with the vision of starting Alpha Chi Omega. The women that are known as the founders of the sorority are Anna Allen, Olive Burnett, Bertha Deniston, Amy DuBois, Nellie Gamble, Bessie Grooms and Estelle Leonard.alpha chi omega
The early ties of Alpha Chi Omega were of a musical nature, although the sorority was never strictly a musical organization. There were some direct mentions in the original sorority constitution to attain high musical culture and embody womanhood.
The name of the sorority comes with careful calculation of its founders. Alpha was chosen because it is the first letter of the Greek alphabet, and the sorority was the first founded in the school of music. Omega was chosen because the founders also thought it would be the last of its kind. Finally, Kai was chosen meaning and, later that was changed to Chi which is a letter in the Greek alphabet. The very first Alpha Chi Omega sorority house included 27 members. The sorority no longer has specific music ties. The organization has grown over the years to become one of the largest sororities in the country.
The philanthropy of the sorority is the Alpha Chi Omega Foundation, which focuses on domestic violence.
“Together let us seek the heights.”
– Flower of Alpha Chi Omega is the red carnation
– Symbol of Alpha Chi Omega is the golden lyre
– Colors of Alpha Chi Omega are scarlet red and olive green
– Founders day is October 15 of each year
– Alpha Chi Omega was the first musically-tied sorority
– Nicknames are A-Chi-O and Alpha Chicondoleeza rice
– Deidre Downs (2005 Miss America)
– Aubrey O’Day (Singer)
– Condoleezza Rice (Former U.S. Secretary of State)
– Carol Duvall (Host of Carol Duvall Show)
– Meredith Monroe (Actress)
– Trista Rehn Sutter (Bachelorette Season 1)
AXO, Alpha Ki Omega, Alpha Kai Omega, Alpha-Chi-Omega, A-Chi-O, Alpha Chi, Alpha Chis