Alpha Delta Pi is the oldest secret society for women, although it is not the oldest Greek organization. Alpha Delta Pi sorority was originally founded as the Adelphean Society on May 15, 1851 at Wesleyan Female College in Macon, Georgia as a book club. Wesleyan College was the first college for women in the world. In 1905, the society changed its name to Alpha Delta Pi. The name was changed again because there was a male fraternity with the same name that had chapters at various universities throughout the country.alpha delta pi
The original founders of the Adelphean Society were Eugenia Tucker Fitzgerald, Elizabeth Williams Mitchell, Sophronia Woodruff Dews, Octavia Andrew Rush, Mary Evans Glass, and Ella Pierce Turner.
The sorority headquarters is located in Atlanta, Georgia and is a member of the National Panhellenic Conference. Alpha Delta Pi is also one of the two Macon Magnolias, including Phi Mu, which are the two sororities founded on the campus of Wesleyan College.
The philanthropy of Alpha Delta Pi is the Ronald McDonald House Charities.
“We Live for Each Other.”
– Sorority colors are azure and white
– Sorority symbols are the lion and diamond
– Sorority flower is the woodland violet
– Sorority mascot is Alphie the Lion
– Nickname is ADPi
– Sorority has had more than 220,000 members worldwide
– Currently more than 140 chapters in the United States and Canadanancy grace
– Jean Smart (Actress)
– Kathy Bates (Actress)
– Nancy Grace (CNN News Host)
– Danica McKellar (Actress)
– Carol Shields (Pulitzer Prize winning author)
alpha delta phi, alpha delta fi, alfa delta pi, ADPi, alpha delta pie