On May 30, 1904, on the campus of Syracuse University, the international women’s fraternity of Alpha Gamma Delta was founded. Alpha Gamma Delta showcases women achieving academic excellence, philanthropic giving, leadership and personal development and an ongoing spirit of loving sisterhood.alpha gamma delta
Gamma Phi Beta and Alpha Phi are the other two sororities included with Alpha Gamma Delta to make up the Syracuse Triad. The Syracuse Triad involves the three sororities that were all founded on the campus of Syracuse University.
Alpha Gamma Delta was founded in the home of Dr. Wellesley Perry Coddington. He was a professor at Syracuse who was very involved in the early start of the sorority. The 11 founders of the sorority were Marguerite Shepard, Estelle Shepard Beswick, Georgia Alberta Dickover, Jennie Titus Smith Morris, Ethel Evelyn Brown Distin, Grace Mosher Harter,’Edith MacConnel Hickok, Mary Louise Snider, Georgia Otis Chipman, Emily Helen Butterfield and Flora Knight Mayer.
Alpha Gamma Delta was not founded with the intention to be a social or literary society, but was founded with the intent of becoming a National Women’s Fraternity.
The official philanthropy of the sorority is the Alpha Gamma Delta Foundation.
“Inspire the Woman. Impact the World.”
– Sorority colors are red, buff and green
– Sorority flowers are red and buff roses with green asparagus ferns
– Sorority jewel is the pearl
– Sorority publication is The Quarterly
– Sorority mascot is the squirrel
– Sorority nicknames are Alpha Gam or AGD
– Sorority has had more than 150,000 members do date
– Sorority headquarters is in Indianapolis, Indiana
– Oldest active chapter is the Delta chapter on the University of Minnesota, Twin Cities campusmeredith phillips
– Rita Coolidge (Singer)
– Donna Fargo (Singer)
– Barbara Jo Walker (Miss America 1947)
– Meredith Phillips (Contestant on The Bachelor & The Bachelorette)
– Lorraine Jensen Davis (Former editor of Vogue)
Shop Now for Alpha Gamma Delta
alpha gama delta, alpha gamma detla, alpha gamma deltas, Alpha Gam, AGD, alfa gamma delta, alpha ganna delta