Phi Beta Sigma fraternity was founded on the Howard University campus in Washington, D.C. in 1914. The founders wanted to establish a fraternity that would exemplify the characteristics of brotherhood, scholarship and service. The founders of Phi Beta Sigma were A. Langston Taylor, Leonard F. Morse and Charles I. Brown. The fraternity expanded into its second and third chapters at Wiley College and Morgan State University in 1915. Although the fraternity was founded as an African-American Greek letter fraternity, membership is open to men of all nationalities and races.phi beta sigma
Phi Beta Sigma is the only fraternity to aid in the creation of and be constitutionally linked to an African-American sorority, in Zeta Phi Beta.
Phi Beta Sigma has helped improve the general welfare of African-Americans as well as provided service during the Great Depression, both World Wars and the Civil Rights Movement. There are currently more than 650 chapters throughout the United States and other countries. Phi Beta Sigma is a member of the National Panhellenic Council and the fraternity headquarters are located in Washington, D.C.
Phi Beta Sigma supports several national philanthropic causes such as March of Dimes, American Cancer Society, AIDS/HIV Epidemic and many others. There is not one specific cause that the fraternity singularly supports.
“Culture for Service and Service for Humanity”
– Fraternity colors are royal blue and pure white
– Fraternity symbol is the dove
– Fraternity flower is the white carnation
– Fraternity publication is The Crescent
– Nickname is Sigmas
– No chapter is designated as Omega; omega chapter is used to describe deceased members of the fraternity
– Fraternity members commonly refer to other members as fratgeorge washington carver
– Dr. Huey P. Newton (Co-Founder of Black Panther Party)
– George Washington Carver (Botanist, Scientist, Inventor)
– William Jefferson Clinton – honorary member (U.S. President)
– Jerry Rice (Former NFL Player)
– Emmitt Smith (Former NFL Player)
Shop Now for Phi Beta Sigma
phi beta signa, pi beta sigma, phi beta sig, sigmas