Sigma Gamma Rho sorority was founded in 1922 on the campus of Butler University in Indianapolis, Indiana by seven teachers. Sigma Gamma Rho is a non-profit sorority that aims to enhance the quality of life within the community. The sorority is also the only African-American sorority to be founded on a predominantly white campus.sigma gamma rho
The founders of Sigma Gamma Rho include Mary Lou Allison Gardner Little, Nannie Mae Gahn Johnson, Vivian Irene White Marbury, Bessie Mae Downey Rhoades Martin, Cubena McClure, Hattie Mae Annette Dulin Redford and Dorothy Hanley Whiteside.
Membership into Sigma Gamma Rho can be obtained by both undergraduate students and those who have already graduated with a baccalaureate degree.
Sigma Gamma Rho participates in sponsoring several national and international programs that improve the welfare of all people. There is no particular philanthropy that is supported by the organization as a whole on a national scale.
“Greater Service, Greater Progress.”
– Sorority colors are royal blue and gold
– Sorority symbol is the poodle
– Sorority flower is the yellow tea rose
– Sorority publication is Aurora
– Nicknames include SGRhos, Lady Sigmas and Sigma
– Sorority headquarters located in Cary, North Carolina
– Sorority was founded by teachershattie mcdaniels
– Victoria Rowell (Actress)
– Hattie McDaniel (Actress; 1st African American actress to win Academy Award)
– MC Lyte (Hip-Hop rapper)
– Vanessa Bell Armstrong (Gospel singer)
– Kelly Price (Singer)
Shop Now for Sigma Gamma Rho
sigma ghamma rho, sigma gamma row, signa gamma rho, SGRhos, SGR, sigmas, lady sigmas