Sigma Kappa sorority was founded on the campus of Colby College in Waterville, Maine. Colby College was the first school in the New England area to allow women to be admitted with the same status as men. The first five females that attended Colby College also became the five founders of Sigma Kappa sorority. Sigma Kappa was officially founded on November 9, 1874. The five founders were Mary Caffrey Low Carver, Elizabeth Gorham Hoag, Ida Mable Fuller Pierce, Frances Elliott Mann Hall and Louise Helen Coburn.sigma kappa
The founders sought to form a literary and social society for women and were instructed by the college to submit bylaws and a constitution along with a petition requesting permission to form Sigma Kappa sorority. Once these documents were approved, the sorority was officially formed. The oldest existing chapter of the sorority is the Delta chapter on the campus of Boston University. All sororities and fraternities were banned from Colby College in 1984 so the chapters formed there have been eliminated.
Sigma Kappa, not to be confused with the men’s fraternity Kappa Sigma, has had more than 152,000 members worldwide to date and contains more than 110 chapters located on college campuses throughout the country.
The official philanthropies of the Sigma Kappa sorority are the Sigma Kappa Foundation, Inherit the Earth, Gerontology, Main Sea Coast Mission and Alzheimer’s Disease.
“One Heart, One Way”
– Sorority symbols are the dove and heart
– Sorority colors are maroon and lavender
– Sorority flower is the wild purple violet
– Sorority jewel is the pearl
– Sorority publication is the Sigma Kappa Triangle
– The symbols of the dove and heart weren’t adopted until 1984 and 1988 respectivelyangela stanford
– Judith Guest (Author)
– Margaret Chase Smith (First Female US Senator)
– Angela Stanford (LPGA Golfer)
– Maitland Ward (Actress)
– Tara Gray (Ms. Alabama 2002)
Shop Now for Sigma Kappa
sigma kapppa, sigmas kappa, sig kappa, kappa sigma