The sorority of Sigma Sigma Sigma was founded in Farmville, Virginia on April 20, 1898 on the campus of Longwood College. Previously known as the State Female Normal School, Longwood College was the first to grant teacher education. While studying to become teachers, eight women formed a special bond and decided to form a secret society.sigma sigma sigma
Originally started secretly in 1897 and called the SSS club, the Sigma Sigma Sigma sorority was publicly announced in 1898. The eight founders of Sigma Sigma Sigma were Margaret Batten, Louise Davis, Martha Trent Featherston, Isabella Merrick, Sallie Michie, Lelia Scott, Elizabeth Watkins and Lucy Wright.
Around the same time period that Sigma Sigma Sigma was being founded, Kappa Delta, Zeta Tau Alpha and Alpha Sigma Alpha sororities were being formed as well. Due to all four sororities being founded on the campus of the State Female Normal School, they are all referred to as the Farmville Four. Sigma Sigma Sigma is a member of the National Panehellenic Conference.
The official Tri Sigma philanthropy is the Robbie Page Memorial.
“Faithful Unto Death”
– Sorority colors are royal purple and white
– Sorority symbol is the sailboat
– Sorority flower is the purple violet
– Sorority jewel is the pearl
– Sorority publication is The Triangle of Sigma Sigma Sigma
– Nickname is Tri Sigma or Sigma
– Headquarters is located in Woodstock, Virginia
– Tri Sigma has had more than 100,000 members
CELEBRITY ALUMNAEcarrie underwood
– Carrie Underwood (Country Singer, American Idol winner)
– Linda Denham (Creator of Care Bears)
– Billie Letts (Author of “Where the Heart Is”)
Shop Now for Sigma Sigma Sigma
sigma sigma sigmas, signa signa signa